Friday, November 9, 2007

Linda's First Week At Work

Greetings All,

Well my first week at NZ Police National Headquarters, Operational Services Group, went really well. There is an overwhelming amount of work to do. So much so that my boss is probably going to look for additional resources, but none of the tasks appear to be beyond my ability at this point.

The focus of the work is actually really interesting - concerning how police employ the various tactical options at their disposal in order to resolve a situation. I will be responsible for the on-going development and maintenance of the database which records all uses of force by Police, then drawing that data out, analyzing it, and making it useful for a number of stakeholders.

On my first day, after a bit of time in HR, I was given a whirlwind tour of the high rise building where I work, then taken to the Wellington Watch House to see how subjects in custody are brought in and processed. Then the Inspector assigned to show me around drove me all over the region to show me some other Police facility locations of various sizes, the Royal NZ Police College, and the Police Dog training facility. At some point I will get to go on a ride along with Police, and will also get to observe tactical training at the college first hand.

I am blessed to still have the woman I am supposed to replace working with me until the Christmas holidays. She is frantically finishing up her projects, but squeezing in some time to show me the ropes. I feel good about my new boss as well. John is an older man, but still quite energetic and passionate about his work. He is supportive and sensitive to the fact that our group is frequently given so many divergent tasks that it is hard for anyone to actually finish something. He wants to give me plenty of time to get up to speed, and he is zealously protecting me from demands on my time that are not directly relevant to my job focus.

The only complaint I have so far is the workplace layout is not really conducive to intense concentration. I am on the third floor of a high rise surrounded in windows, but to fit a number of people onto the floor and ensure that everyone has natural light, they have an open-plan layout with half-wall dividers. You can sit at your computer and look across the wall to the next person sitting at their computer. Noise and distractions can be hard on an analyst, so when I asked if I could schedule a workday at home each week (Tuesdays), just so I can read all the materials I need to read, my supervisor was very supportive. In addition, I have scheduled another day a week (Wednesdays) to go out to the Royal NZ Police College in Porirua and work with the analyst out there who is most familiar with what I will be doing. I will also be getting a laptop, so that I can go wherever I need to go to concentrate on my work.

In addition to this kind of workplace flexibility, I was thrilled to see the number of holidays given. As many of you know, one of the big selling points to us when we decided to move to NZ was that they have a mandatory 4 full weeks of paid vacation for every full-time employee, regardless of job. But in addition to 4 weeks of annual leave, there are something like 11-12 national holidays as well. When I arrived at Police, I discovered that government employees also get a few extra holidays (Stat or Statutory Holidays, as well as individual Commissioners give their employees holidays). For example, without having to take ANY of my annual leave time off, I will only have to work 1 day between December 21 and January 3rd, thanks to all the National/Commissioners/Stat Holidays given to me as a Police employee!

So, for 37 hours and 50 minutes per week (don't ask me why it isn't 40 hrs per week, I am not complaining), I will be extremely busy at work; but, I will get the schedule flexibility and more time off than I have ever had with any job before.

Since Eric hasn't started a job yet, he has been fantastic about walking Connor to and from school on those days that I take the car into town; or, driving me to work and Connor to school on the other days. He has done the grocery shopping, housework, cooking, laundry, Connor's homework and fixing his lunchbox, etc. It has been a joy to come home at the end of a long day and know that I don't have a ton of little household tasks to perform. He has been such a great "House Husband" it almost makes me not want him to find a full-time job, though I know we need the income.

Thanks again to those of you who have prayed on my behalf for just such a career fit. Please keep up the prayers on Eric's behalf. If he can find a fit that is equally as nice as mine, we will be in fantastic shape!

Take care and, for friends and family in the U.S., know that we love and miss you all and can't wait for you to come over for a visit!

Cheers, Linda

2 comments:

David A said...

Sounds very interesting. Am so happy for you. Now will they do a New Zealand "Cops" version for play in the U.S.???

The Gross Family said...

There is a NZ Cops show, but I think they only play it here.