Monday, April 7, 2008

Maungaraki Views


Kia Ora Friends & Family,

Well, not much has really been going on at "Gross-haus" of late, hence the absence of blog posts.

I am reminded of the words of Buckaroo Banzai, "Wherever you go, there you are". Here we are living about as far away from where we were born as we could get without heading back again; and, not surprisingly, our day-to-day lives have changed very little. I go to work, Eric walks Connor to and from school every day, we pay bills, eat, sleep, buy groceries, read, watch a movie every now and then, yadda, yadda, yadda. And yet, somehow, we are changed - more content, more at peace with ourselves than we have felt in a long time.

Even despite Eric's lack of job prospects, we are adjusting to life on one income here better than we did in Arkansas. Eric is still looking for the right career "fit"; but, in the meantime, he is enjoying the stronger relationship he has developed with Connor and the increase in exercise they are both getting together. He has lost weight and feels much healthier.

We have extended our home lease another 12 months, since the only thing more depressing than seeing what real estate you can't afford is seeing the only thing you can afford. But that is okay. Our rental is a lovely home, albeit difficult to keep warm in the winter, and it is located in a peaceful neighbourhood and good school zone. Here is a view of the Maungaraki shops taken as Eric & Connor walk down-hill from our home on their way to school, (the harbour is actually quite a bit lower in elevation and maybe a kilometer or two distant, but the views in Maungaraki make it look like it is just a stone's throw away.):



Each weekday, I usually take the car to work and Eric walks Connor to school. After dropping the boy off, Eric has gotten into the habit of popping into Benedicts, the neighbourhood cafe/dairy/post shop/meeting place, for breakfast. While there, he peruses the classifieds, reads a book or sometimes has a chat with the locals. Then he walks back up the hill, where he cleans house, does laundry, maintains the yard, you know - all those "house husband duties" - and maybe snags an afternoon nap or computer game before walking back down the hill to pick up the boy. Connor has been having a fantastic term at school this Autumn, so a stop in Benedicts on the way home in the afternoon, to do homework and have a special treat, is not uncommon for them.

After they get home, clean out and re-make Connor's lunchbox, Eric usually sends me an e-mail to update me on his and Connor's day. This is something I look forward to each day, and here is an example of why from one of Eric's daily e-mails:

"Connor had a good day. We stopped at the cafe, I got him some water, split a brownie with him, and we walked back. As we left Benedicts, he gave me a hug and said he loved me. After I told him that I loved him too, he asked, "how long have you loved me?" I said, "Well, I have loved you since we knew that mom was going to have a baby, and that baby was you." This, of course, was my first mistake."

  1. "How did you know mom was going to have a baby?"
  2. "What kind of changes happen to moms when they have a baby inside?"
  3. "Moms get their stomach big when there is a baby inside. Was mom big?"
  4. "How did you know I was going to be a boy?"
  5. "It's not good that girls don't have a peepee!" (I told him one day he may think differently.)
  6. "How do girls pee?"
  7. "Was I inside mom when you got married?"
  8. "When I am all grown up maybe I will marry and have children"
  9. "If I had a baby would you be grandpa?"
  10. "I can't have a baby because I am a boy, right?"
  11. "Maybe I will marry a child from school."
  12. "I can't marry Samuel because he is a boy."
  13. "I want to marry Brock." (Brock is a sweet little girl in Connor's class.)

And so it goes, the age of many difficult questions; and, thankfully, Eric gets the bulk of them these days! Woohoo!

Meanwhile, I am at work, but that location can vary from my main office on the third floor of a high rise in the Wellington CBD, overlooking the U.S. Embassy, (go figure); to the Royal New Zealand Police College in Porirua; or, even my private home office, (where I usually work one day a week, so that Eric can take the car for household errands, grocery shopping, etc.). We have 2 double-size bedrooms & 2 single-size bedrooms, so the later two have been converted into his & her separate offices. Here is a shot from my home office window, so you can see I am quite happy to put in a day of work in the peace and quiet of home:


Strangely, despite having the workload of 4 full-time Analysts dumped on me, I generally feel "unstressed" at my job. Actually, I love it! For the first time in my life I really feel challenged and invigorated by my career. I guess I figure there is absolutely no way I could ever do ALL the work requested, and everyone else I work with agrees, so I have the freedom to pick and chose the most important tasks and let the rest go. When I am at work I am really working, no time to get bored or worried; but, when I am away from work, usually, I am able to let it all go and concentrate on enjoying time with my family or by myself.

The best part of my job is that I have complete autonomy. I can vary my workday however I see fit, and the tasks that I do take on are challenging and have the potential to make a significant impact on the way NZ Police operate. I feel like I am paid for the work that I produce, rather than the number of hours I warm a seat, something that I have sought in my career for years.

While no one will ever compare to my former boss, Connie, who was both a good friend and a great manager; my current supervisor - a career cop and Superintendent - has been really supportive of me going out and learning first-hand about how NZ Police do their job. I have observed new recruits go through their training, taken rides in patrol cars, visited the communications centre and talked to a lot of sworn staff members about how Kiwi cops operate differently than American cops.

Working for one of the few visibly "unarmed" police forces in the world has been quite a departure from my work in the States; but, also unlike my previous work, I am actually more involved with the operational side of policing, which can be quite exciting. Just yesterday I got to hold a Bushmaster assault rifle and try out a new "red dot" targeting sight, (though they didn't let me shoot anything). Tomorrow I will be developing a slideshow presentation for Police executives and Thursday I will be working on a long-term project to create a new query and statistical reporting capability for our use-of-force database. I am not sure what I will decide to do on Friday, but that is what makes the work so interesting.

Well, speaking of work, I need to get back to it!

I hope, as you read this post, you are all healthy, happy and living life without fear. Know that we miss you and love you all and look forward to our next opportunity to visit. In the meantime, stay in touch and keep checking our blog. I promise to get Eric to post more of his beautiful long stories really soon!

Cheers!

Linda

No comments: