Friday, April 11, 2008

PS For Paekakariki

Earlier this week I posted a nice long message to friends & family (see: "Maungaraki Views" below); but, since we just returned from a pleasant Saturday drive along the Kapiti Coast I wanted to post a "PS" and share a few more pics.



We had originally set out this morning to take the train from Petone Station (bottom of our hill) to the Wellington CBD, for lunch at Queens Wharf and a stroll downtown. But, after sitting for 15 minutes on the railway platform, we were advised by a custodian that the train was not running today because the tracks were being torn up as part of a major upgrade.


So, we all climbed back in the car and set off down the highway. I had been curious about Paekakariki Hill Road, which runs parallel to SH1 (what equates to a major interstate highway for NZ), but is a bit twistier and more scenic - with views of a lush green farming area, then a climb up onto a ridge overlooking the Tasman Sea and Kapiti Island. Along the way, we stopped at an overlook and Eric took these shots. The small town you see at the bottom of the hill is, as you may have guessed, the town of Paekakariki. It is an artsy little place with several cafes, ice cream parlour, dairy, train stop, and a number of cute refurbished cottages along the beach.


We are thinking about settling in this area if/when we can ever afford a home of our own, as it is only a 35 minute drive to the Wellington CBD by the motorway. We had a pleasant lunch, ice-cream for dessert, stroll around town, and then drove on another 6 minutes to Paraparaumu, the main shopping hub for the Kapiti Coast District. We then came home and are now gearing up for some intense couch-potato-i-ness.

Before I say farewell, I wish to congratulate a couple of people:

First, my former boss - Connie, for announcing this week that she is finally retiring after 33 years working for the same municipal Police Department in Oregon. I wish you all the best Connie and REALLY wish I could be there for your going-away extravaganza! Maybe I will get to visit you again after you have poured your boundless energy into a new plant nursery or other endeavour.

Second, my cousin Sean and his partner just welcomed a new son into the world - Liam Allen. (Thanks to Mom for sending me many pics!)

Love, Linda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celulite, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://eliminando-a-celulite.blogspot.com. A hug.

porlock said...

HI! Just thought I would drop in to see if there was anything new.